I love this review of E.T. The Extraterrestrial, written by Roger Ebert when he added the film to his Great Films collection in 1997. He writes the review as it if he's writing a letter to his grandchildren, and he describes the first time all of them sat down and watched the film, explaining to them what makes the film so great (and why the kids found it so great).
This technique is what elevates the review; because E.T. is, all acclaim aside, a children's film, reviewing the movie with children introduces their perspective. This makes the reader understand how talented Steven Spielberg is, to make a brilliant film that even a child could understand (Ebert praises the film's POV and the story's reliability). Ebert's writing is child-like and simple (so his grandkids could understand), which emphasizes this idea.
Lastly, I think that the emotionally charged writing (a grandfather addressing his grandchildren) works especially well for E.T. Most people who love the film love it for simple reasons: it's a heartwarming story about a lost alien who makes friends with some earth-born children. It's a fun, lovable film. Writing with the almost academic candor of some of his other pieces would have been a bit inappropriate for such an innocent film.
Reviewing the Fine Arts
A More Academic Approach
- Question for critic: Do you ever write a positive ...
- Wesley Morris Reviews 'Fast 7'
- The Witch - LA Times
- Post-a-Review: "Review: 'The Danish Girl,' About a...
- 'Room' Review--The Guardian
- 'Joy' Review
- A Pulitzer Prize Winning Movie Critic
- Rolling Stone Review - Whiplash
- Film Review I Like!
- Let's Be Single
- Review of 'Room' By Joe Morgenstern for the Wall S...
- TV Develops Emotional Intelligence?
- Good Ol' Mick Vindicated My Movie Taste
- Review of Anomalisa -- "Talk about uncomfortable. ...
- What I Think about When I Think about Film vs. TV....
- A Two-Paragraph Film Review with Comments
- Article on Kraft Dinners - how taste testing homog...
- Quick and Dirty: A Videolicious Audio Slideshow of...
- Videolicious Tips
- Making a Good Audio Slideshow
- Coen Koan?
- Instagram Husband
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8NRiN1xfU A clip...
- Monty Python and Varieties of Comedy
- Ron Swanson eating a banana
- This video makes me laugh hysterically at the expe...
- Youtube Video on Writing Comedy
- Funny Clip - Lamas in Hats
- Funny Baby Vine Compilation
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo Some ...
- Role of the Sitcom? Popular Culture and the Accept...
- Raccoon Steals Cat Food
- Blue Mountain State Clip
- Getting Ready for TV and Movie Criticism: This is ...
- KoJa Kitchen
- TV Ratings Explained
- The Emotional Shorthand of a Successful Ad
- Surreal and Without context
- I Could Really Go For Some Enchiladas
- An Engaging Review
- ▼ February (40)