Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Review

Monday, January 25, 2016

Where's my Decoder Ring?

A four rotor Enigma machine.
A four rotor Enigma machine. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In this review, I shall attempt to explore the broad discursive formations of hegemonic masculinity, and its relation to race, ethnicity and crime. For this, I will situate R.W. Connell’s concept of hegemonic masculinity in the critically acclaimed HBO TV show, The Wire (2002-2008), which primarily explores the drug culture and the political decadence and corruption of the city of Baltimore in early 21st century America.


My focus shall be on the reading Connell’s, as well as other theorists’ discussions on hegemonic masculinities, and focus specifically on locating multiple masculinities in geography of The Wire. For this, I shall specifically explore the relations within genders (masculinities) as relations between them, and proffer an understanding of what I call the patriarchal political-moral economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers